Monday

Week Eleven, Part 4 - Safe At Home

Halloween is dark and overcast, and I’m worried about Terri, who’s due to fly in from Florida via Detroit. She has scheduled an early flight in order to go trick-or-treating with Stephanie and Lauren, ages 7 and 5.

About 5:00 p.m. the phone rings. Terri says her flight to Detroit was fine, but then she transferred to a prop plane with 20 seats. It traveled all the way to South Bend, but couldn’t land because of the fog. “So the stupid plane turned around and flew back to Detroit!”

I tell Terri not to worry. It’s cold and rainy. As for trick-or-treating, the girls won’t stay out long anyway.

At 9:00 p.m. Terri finally arrives home. She sits with the girls in front of the fireplace and helps them count their candy. Then she tucks them in bed.

I pause at Lauren’s door and watch as Terri tucks her in. Then I go in to say our bedtime prayer. “Now I lay me down to sleep...”

I stand up to leave.

Lauren asks, “You know what I want?”

“Tell me.”

“A p-u-p for Stephie and me.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because they're so playful.”

“Blue’s a fun dog,” I say, referring to our aging golden retriever.

“Yeah, but pups are more hyper.”

“Harder to take care of.”

“I’d still like one.”

“We’ll see.”

Lauren changes topics. “Before you're born, you're up in heaven, but you can't remember it.”

“Then what happens?” I ask.

“You come down to earth.”

“Wow, you’re smart.” I kiss her goodnight, then go to my bedroom.

Terri chuckles about Lauren’s penchant for spelling words out loud. “Looks like I’m M-o-m until further notice.”

We talk about getting a puppy. I object. Terri’s ambivalent.

“Mark, do you had any idea how much guilt I feel for not getting back?”

Shikata ga nai. It couldn’t be helped.”

I should be the one getting the girls dressed up and taking them from house to house. Stephanie and Lauren need me!”

“They’re doing fine.”

I tell Terri about Lauren’s philosophy of where our spirits come from, and her mood lightens.

“It’s like Notre Dame Law School,” I say. “Before I got accepted, it was heaven. But I can’t remember it. And now I’m being born as an attorney.”

Terri laughs. “Let’s hope there are no complications.”

* * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home