Wednesday

Week Ten, Part 7 - Holy War

At the start of Criminal Procedure, Professor Dutile holds up an Observer with the headline: "Making of a 'friendly' rivalry." A color picture shows the new trophy that will go the winner of the football game between Boston College and the University of Notre Dame. It’s a green plate of leaded crystal cut in the shape of Ireland. Engraved on the front are a shamrock and the names of each school.

"Talk about shoddy journalism,” Dutile says. “This rivalry isn't friendly!"

We laugh and Dutile waits. "Usually I'm concerned when a team runs up the score. But tomorrow against Boston College, I won’t mind if we put 100 points on the board!”

The class erupts – hoots and hollers, laughin' and clapping. Beside me, a Domer shouts, “Holy war.”

In each of the last two years, the Screaming Eagles have upset Notre Dame. Last October in Chestnut Hill, the BC students stormed the field and tore down their goal posts to celebrate the win. The Observer quotes a Notre Dame player who complains about being spit on. He adds, “Their fans are not the classiest around.”

Dutile says, “Tomorrow we will prove that there's only one Catholic football powerhouse."

His wish is granted as Notre Dame beats BC, 20-10. The Irish are now 7-2 and may go to a bowl if they win against Navy and Air Force. It would be a nice ending to a season that started with a painful loss.

After the game, Terri and I hurry home. I spend the evening immersed in appellate decisions; she packs for a business trip to Florida. AT&T is hosting a “User’s Group” in Orlando, the mecca for business conventions. Terri and a client, the telecom manager from Biomet, will be among the 7,000 participants learning about 800-number portability and call center management.

Since I’ll be taking care of Steph and Lauren, I try to read enough cases to last me through Friday. I’m drowning. Glub. Glub. Glub. My briefs are cursory, and before going to sleep, I pray again that this won’t be the week for Socratic water-torture.

* * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home