Thursday

Week Twelve, Part 6 - Follow The Money

Late on Thursday afternoon I interview Andy McLean, NIBCO's manager of the Rocky Mountain region, for my article in Connections. Then I type away for three hours until the story is done.

The Denver airport sounds impressive – bigger in size than all of Manhattan. To build it cost four billion dollars. Most importantly, for my article anyway, the contractors bought over $500,000 worth of NIBCO’s ball and butterfly valves.

The way I figure it, the money flow goes like this: the airport authority pays a half million to NIBCO, of which $75.00 goes to me, all of which I send to the University of Notre Dame. No wonder the Dome is golden.

As I finish up, Terri comes down into my office. I show her what I’ve written.

“Shouldn’t you be studying?” she asks. It’s a gentle scold.

I stutter a bit. “Terri, I’ve wanted to be a lawyer for, what, one year? I’ve dreamed of being a writer since I was old enough to read!”

She sits on my lap and puts her arms around my neck.

“But, you’re right,” I say. “Starting tomorrow I’ll hit the books hard.”

We kiss.

“And who knows,” I say. “Maybe NIBCO will need a law clerk this summer.”

* * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home